Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: 511b- box volume

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member Art J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    August 1st, 2004
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    238
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    In calculating internal box volume, I guess the general rule is to subtract .75 cu ft for a 15 in woofer. Does anyone know the box volume factor for a 511b? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member taudo's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20th, 2004
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Angry

    Art,

    The old Altec lit I have is _very_ contradictory on this issue. While I can't look up the values for the 511 right now (at work, darn it!), for the 811 however, one Altec source I have says the volume behind the flange is 0.19 cu ft and another source says the volume with driver attached is 1.2 cu ft.

    So, be careful about the numbers you get. I've used the smaller ones, but haven't actually measured it.

    HTH

    taudo

  3. #3
    Inactive Member cclark65's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2003
    Posts
    339
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    One could always take the driver off, seal the throat, and immerse in a plastic tub of water that is filled to the brim, and measure it afterwards and subtract the difference...It would probably be quite accurate.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member stpower's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    70
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Art,
    My 1968 Altec enclosure manual states;
    811 horn and driver 1.2 cubic feet.
    511 horn and driver 1.5 cubic feet.
    15" speaker .75 cubic feet.

    stpower

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Art J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    August 1st, 2004
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    238
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for the great replys.
    Very handy info for builders.
    I should have titled the thread
    Altec Driver Displacement Volumes
    so it could be searched. Darn.
    My book offers only 2 more.

    8 in speaker 0.15 cu ft
    12in speaker 0.40 cu ft

    -------------------------------------------------
    "Doctor, Doctor!, My horn rings like a bell
    when I hit it like this!"
    Doctor : "Well then, Don't hit it like that"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.